Banking, Small Business, Credit Administration, Lending
4 Year Degree
We're looking for driven individuals that combine great credit discipline with balanced decision making and customer focus to join our Small Business Lending team as a Small Business Underwriter. The SBA Underwriter III role underwrites and recommends small business loan requests with Maximum Potential Exposure of up to $5 Million (new loan requests), and maintains up to $1,000,000 individual commercial loan authority for secured and unsecured loans. This individual may oversee the work of a team of Small Business Underwriters I and II, providing feedback regarding the quality and completeness of credit approval memos and ensures the team provides outstanding service to business bankers and branch managers, as well as an overall great customer service working with Business Loan advocates responsible for the end to end loan process. As some of the most experienced members of the team, Underwriter III individuals are expected to serve as thought leaders in helping define and pursue the SB Lending agenda with special projects, and help drive department’s underwriting training.
About Small Business Lending:
We believe Small Businesses are the heart and soul of what drives our communities and economy forward with their passion and dedication to their work and customers. Beyond our customers, they are our family, friends and neighbors. As the Capital One Small Business Bank group, we’re passionate about reinventing the way Small Businesses successfully manage their money, engage with their bank, and build meaningful financial lives. It’s audacious work at a massive scale. Our group is relatively new to Capital One and we don’t shy away from challenging the status quo. Our inspiration is our small business customer — their ingenuity, scrappiness and relentless optimism for the future.
Small Business Lending is a very dynamic space. We serve borrowing needs of businesses of various sizes from relatively small businesses owned by sole proprietors, to large corporations. This requires varying levels of sophistication in underwriting to ensure effective risk management with reasonable costs in proportion to loan size.
We are competing for business with both established banks, as well as new fin tech entrants that’s shifting customer experience expectations. We are completely revamping our lending technology platform and loan production processes with customer focus and agile in mind, so we catapult the business forward in ways we can win with our customers.
We need underwriters that not only bring solid commercial underwriting experience to continue to push the underwriting team’s capabilities and high rigor in credit risk management; but also are innovative and adaptive to the needs of this dynamic space.
• Underwrites and approves, conditions, or declines new loan requests up to the limit of his/her commercial loan authority in accordance with Capital One Bank loan policy and portfolio performance objectives. Maintains up to $1,000,000 in commercial loan authority for secured and unsecured loans.
• Underwrites and then recommends approval on loan requests that are in excess of his/her commercial loan authority. These requests are submitted to either an Underwriting Manager or Credit Officer for final approval.
• May oversee Small Business Lenders I and II with feedback regarding the quality and completeness of credit approval memos, loan structure, policy knowledge, and credit scoring; and act as back up for Underwriting Managers
• Provides – and ensures his/her assigned group of underwriters provide – outstanding service to business bankers and branch managers. Works with Small Business Bankers in structuring loan requests in a manner which will best mitigate lending risks while meeting borrower needs.
• Delivers – and ensures his/her assigned group of underwriters deliver – a great overall customer experience working closely with the Business Loan Advocates that are accountable of the end to end loan process from application to funding.
• Ensures appropriate application of all bank and line of business policies and procedures; supporting and driving adherence to regulatory compliance requirements.
• Serves as thought leader in identifying and delivering improvements in our Small Business policy, underwriting, and/or risk management, driving special project work as appropriate.
• Helps drive department’s underwriting training.
• SBA underwriter performs WACs, interims and annual reviews on SBA portfolio loans
Bachelor's Degree or Military Experience
At least 5 years of experience in one of the following: Commercial or Small Business credit administration, Commercial or Small Business loan underwriting, Commercial or Small Business lending
At least 3 years of SBA underwriting experience
Completion of a formal credit training or equivalent work experience
10+ years of experience in one of the following: Commercial or Small Business credit administration, Commercial or Small Business loan underwriting, Commercial or Small Business lending
5+ years of SBA underwriting experience
At this time, Capital One will not sponsor a new applicant for employment authorization for this position.
2 openings. Employer will assist with relocation costs.
Internal Number: R84986
About Capital One
At Capital One, we don’t only think big things—we do big things. We were the first company to develop and offer mass customization and personalization of credit card products, and we have been innovating relentlessly ever since. Today, we are a nationally recognized brand, a top 10 bank, and a scientific laboratory on a journey to become a leading high-tech company and digital innovator touching over 65 million customer accounts. Founder-led by Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Richard Fairbank, Capital One has grown to $22 billion in revenue in just over 20 years.
Our associates flourish in our open culture where a meritocracy of ideas and harnessing collective wisdom trump titles and hierarchy. We proudly bring together associates with diverse perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences in an environment where they can challenge the status quo and reimagine money to inspire life.
BACK TO TOP
Established in 1984, NAGGL serves the government guaranteed lending community, empowering members while meeting their multiple needs. » Learn more